Thursday, April 24, 2014

There is so much to update, and so little time.
I have about 8 minutes until the pre heat button starts singing bright and early, and about 6 more minutes until my coffee goes from blistering hot (the way I like it) to luke warm.

I will try to type fast. A lot is happening, a lot has changed, and a lot well has just been the same- which is always great.

Personally, Professionally, this is MY blog- Myself along with Jeremy own Hardcore Sweet, and we luckily
"own" three beautiful children and a beautiful dog which are more important then Hardcore Sweet.

There I said it, there is actually something more important then work. I see other businesses around the state, and see that some owners do not have kids, and I see how many more events, product and what not they are banging out... we can't. We have limits, big ones. I have three young children that pretty soon, I am going to blink and they are going to be asking to drive my Escalade...Who am I kidding, that will never happen.

No way will I let them drive that car! Haha! :)

I know as a new business, branching out and still branding ourselves it will get easier.
As far as the craze with everyone wanting to own a bakery in Watertown, here is my take.  We did research before we settled in Watertown. Here is why we did
1- We wanted to be close to Waterbury still, our roots, but closer to Litchfield/Torrington area where a lot of our customers are from and where we started at MSMP.
2- There was only another bakery here, which had a TOTALLY different spin and menu then we did (breads, pastries, wholesaling, etc...)
3- We loved the industrial feel... as a cupcake "factory"

Now since we moved in there are I think... 4 or 5 total... in Watertown. My take- I don't care!
It's like pizza, people are going to have their favorite. Do I think that is a lot of bakeries in a smaller town- yes. However, it just makes me want to step up my game more.
Some are different then what we are doing, others are trying to do the exact same thing. Good for them.
I hope we all walk away with not working 100 hours a week and a million dollars.

My only note would have been do a little more research and open up on unclaimed territory- other towns that need a bakery. That is what we will be doing... for our 2nd location of course!

Talking to Jeremy about it- his take "well (so and so) bakery does has the same names as some of our cupcakes, who cares imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and walked away.
Stopped. Came back and said "If I hear that bakeries start naming cupcakes after hardcore bands, that's when I will snap and go in and talk to them!"

Oh my love, always sticking to his roots! Ha Ha!

Speaking of which, Redscroll Records was a hit again this year for Record Store Day!
It makes me think of this persona and labels people put on others.

Can I just say "Hardcore Kids" who come in our shop are some of our best customers. Always friendly, welcoming, patient if they need to wait for more vegan to come out. Supportive. And do not mind the price ticket of $15 for a six pack. They add on vegan soap, and a hot rod bag to their order with no problem.

These people are maniacs. And we love it! 

It makes us get ready for This Is Hardcore. Only a few months to go and we will be in Philly doing 18 hour days, sweating our bags off in a tin can truck.


Besides random events booked out all fall, a lot of people are getting married! It is awesome! 
We are also doing a lot of classes-

One coming up we are PSYCHED FOR... Lucky Taco class part 2 on CINCO DE MAYO!! 
This is going to be awesome. Tequila, Cupcakes and the best tacos ever.
They did just win Best of Hartford 2 years in a row!! So proud of this couple.
Not only are they great vendors we have worked with, but friends- and really hard workers who get the whole balancing kids, home life, bills and working hours until you look like a zombie. 
Go like their page and see why they are voted the best. 
Honestly, Dave has me hooked on coleslaw, or their housemade coleslaw. 28 years old and NEVER would touch that mayonaise soaked cabbage. He has shown me the upscale freshness of a delicious  addition to tacos.
https://www.facebook.com/LuckyTaco

Sign up for the class too... May 5th! 
http://www.hardcoresweetcupcakes.com/#!upcoming-classes/c1r49

I promise I will update more. 
Ha. I even laughed out loud after I wrote that.
But seriously, I will try. 







1 comment:

  1. We loved your cupcakes at This Is Hardcore! That Jane Dough-cupcake. Oh my. Hopefully see you next year!

    ReplyDelete